Seize every day as an adventure and your spirit will soar when you discover the wonderful surprises life has to offer.
Just give me my 8 hours of sleep & then I'll be ready for adventure, soaring spirits & surprises! Without my 8--you can forget about it!
Starting on Friday I'll be criss-crossing the Eastern half of the country. I probably won't have a chance to post until after Labor Day. Too bad. I've got so much good stuff to share. Oh well--it will have to wait.
I'm feeling a little on the anxious-stressed-out side with these upcoming ventures, mostly because they come one after another, with lots of early morning departures, lots of details to attend to, and long days of driving.
I know I'm going to need to get a good night's sleep before leaving early in the morning. And knowing that I'll need to get some power sleep before I leave on each leg of these 3 trips I've decided to give valerian with hops a try, to insure super sleep. And some lemon balm to ease the anxiety and stress of taking 3 trips back to back with little time to prepare between each one.
So What's the Deal with Valerian, Hops & Lemon Balm?
- It was my good fortune to hear Dr. Tieraona Low Dog talk about these two herbs on Tuesday. She's the Director of Education for the Integrative Medicine Program at the University of Arizona and she's been the chair of the U.S. Pharmacopeia's Dietary Supplements & Botanicals Expert Committee since 2000. As if that's not enough, she's on the NIH Advisory Committee for the Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine. This is someone who knows what she's talking about.
- When it comes to herbs for sleep, Dr. Low Dog says HANDS DOWN, the combination of valerian & hops is the best. Valerian will get you to sleep & hops will help you stay asleep.
- As for mild anxiety & nervousness, she's been using lemon balm in her practice for over 20 years. Even the sound of it--Lemon Balm--sounds calming. The relaxing part of this herb is in the oils, so she recommends using the essential oil mixed with water or tea. She says it's very safe & can be used in children and older people alike.
- I don't have much personal experience with herbs, so this will be an adventure. I'll be sure to report back!
So Where Are We Going & Why Am I Feeling Stressed?
- First to St. Louis. Working late on Thursday-won't get home 'til 10 PM. Up early on Friday. Caravaning (that's always fun) with Son #2 as he moves to a new apartment in St. Louis. If I'm lucky, and I think I will be...I'll get to share the 20 hours of driving with my husband in a windowless, 15 foot cargo van. Did I mention it was a rented van? You know how much I love driving rented vehicles in strange cities, especially without rear windows. But heck, it'll be like old times, "Stretching in St. Louis". We've got one day to drive there, one day to unload & drive around town in search of a mattress, couch & microwave, & one day to drive the rented cargo van 10+ hours back home. I'm really looking forward to a nice glass of wine & some terrific pizza on Saturday night! The heck with watching what I eat.
- Then on to Florida. Return from St. Louis late Sunday night. Rise at dawn on Monday morning for an early morning flight. Pick up a rental car at the airport, meet with my mother-in-law's oncologist, then drive 2 hours to her home. Then...finally, we'll get to spend a relaxing, lovely week with my mother-in-law--which is what this trip is all about.
- Final destination: NYC. Return from Florida. Work for 4 days. Drive to NYC (early morning of course) to visit with friends, my son & daughter-in-law and enjoy a wonderful wedding--the main event for this leg of the journey.
- Ah, I'm feeling more relaxed already, and ready for adventure. I think I'll do a trial run of that valerian/hops combo tonight!