How did I get so lucky? My husband is down in Florida for five days to "entertain" (really-he's a funny guy) my mother-in-law who is convalescing from successful cancer surgery. We've been tag teaming. He was there the weekend before the surgery--I was there for the surgery--and he's back down there for post-surgery entertaining. And my fantastic & amazing sister-in-law is there all the time! If you're new to this blog I talked about my mother-in-law's experiences here and here.
- Do you know how nice it is to have the house all to yourself? No plans. No work.
- On the rare occasions that my husband is out-of-town I book the time with fun events with my friends or I've got BIG IMPORTANT STUFF to do. Not this time. Except for Sunday--it was pre-arranged--a lecture by best-selling author Sarah Vowell. I've never heard of Sarah Vowell, but she's on This American Life--so what could be bad? It's bound to be an adventure.
- My entire life I've shared a bedroom. First with my sister--and actually we shared a double bed while growing up. In college I always had a roommate--in fact 6 of us shared a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment. From college it was marriage--shared bed--shared bathroom. Then kids. I'm not complaining--but I am looking forward to this weekend. A bedroom--a bathroom--a house--all to myself.
- I'm not cleaning or organizing a single thing in this house this weekend.
- I'm not planning or pre-cooking our Thanksgiving feast.
- I'm about to cook a new recipe because I want to: Palestinian Lentils and Rice with Crispy Onions. It's supposed to be amazing! Click here for the recipe. Update: This is fantastic! The gym buddy who recommended it to me said her son stuffs it into a whole wheat pita & tops it with some feta. She often mixes up a tzatziki sauce with Greek yoghurt, cucumber & dill. Double the cumin; cut the onions very thin. If you can figure out a way to cut the oil, let me know. Use canola oil instead of olive oil--drops the sat fat from 2.7 grams to 1.3 grams.
- I may do some computer research, reading and blogging--but only if I feel like it.
- I'm watching 2 videos that my husband was so-so about (but he would have watched them, had I asked, because he's a great guy & he knows I pick winners). "Under the Same Moon" and "The Year My Parents Went on Vacation"
- That's all I've planned.
Honey--if you're reading this--and I know you're not, because you're in a "computer-free zone"--I'm just kidding. I love, you're perfect, and I can't wait 'til you're home!