I just read Cindy Sadler's inspiring weight-loss story in this morning's NYT Well blog, written by Tara Parker-Pope. The story is called, "The Incredible Shrinking Opera Singer".
That is exactly what Cindy calls the photo series she has posted on her blog, The Next 100 Pounds, which chronicles her weight-loss journey. Be sure to check it out for wisdom, advice, inspiration & recipes!
You can find the first NYT Well blog (June 2008) & video about Cindy's journey in "An Opera Singer's Fat Relocation Project.
Do not miss today's video of Cindy's weight loss--you'll find that here!
When Did Cindy Start?
- September 2007. It's been a 16 month process. She was overweight most of her adult life.
How Much Weight Has She Lost?
- From September 2007-June 2008 (9 months) she lost 100 pounds
- Today she has lost a total of 130 pounds.
- She has 30 more pounds to go.
How Has Life Changed for Cindy?
- She really enjoys the life style changes that have come about as a result of the weight loss.
- It's not about the the weight loss--it's all about the positive changes in her health. The weight loss is just the "icing on the cake".
- She has more energy.
- She's more active.
- She's jogging now! She says she's the last person in the world she would ever expect to be jogging. During those first 2 to 3 minutes of jogging she thinks, "Oh I hate my life!" Then it's smooth sailing. I feel exactly the same way at the start of each challenging yoga pose or the start of a spinning class. The feeling soon passes.
- She has completely reversed her Type-2 Diabetes! Her proudest achievement.
Her First Audition Season Since the Weight Loss Has Just Ended. What Changes Has She Noticed?
- She doesn't get out-of-breath.
- She's able to run around the stage much more easily.
- She's physically stronger.
- The quality of her voice has stayed the same. Which just happens to be amazing!
Recent Changes in Cindy's Diet
- She's not a 100% vegetarian or vegan, but she's leaning in that direction.
- Meat is mostly out. Fish & eggs are in. A little dairy here & there.
- She's a fan of the Moosewood cookbooks (me too!), The Fat-Free Vegan Kitchen blog (me too!), and Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
Words of Wisdom from Cindy
- "Diets do fail. I have never liked the term, "diet", and I don’t consider myself to be on a diet."
- "I consider myself to be in the process of making a lifestyle change."
- "The main motivation is that I like how I look and feel now."
- "I like eating and exercising the way I do now, better than I liked the way I looked, felt and ate before."
- "The main thing is to get the mental game in place. The mental game has to be tight. Counter roadblocks & be honest with yourself."
- What book is her bible? Dr. Judith Beck: The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person
- Cindy wears a necklace for inspiration. It's a inscribed with the words:
SHE NEVER WANTS TO WEIGH MORE THAN SHE DOES TODAY!