The Health Librarian's Enlightened & Enhanced Arabian Nights Lentil & Rice Soup
Serves at least 6
Prep & cooking time: Total 1 hour
1 large onion, diced small
6 cloves garlic, chopped small
1 tsp salt, optional
Several pinches of greshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
2 cups chopped carrots (small dice)
1 cup dried RED LENTILS (which are really pale orange--you must use this kind--Bob's Red Mill carries them)
1/2 cup BROWN basmati rice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
6 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Key added spice: 1/4 to 1/2 or more Garam Masala (find at grocery stores, Spice Island brand, Indian specialty groceries, or Penzey Spices online) This is a subtle, delightful must-have Indian spice. Click here to learn more. Click here for a recipe to blend your own.
1. Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onions without oil until transluscent, about 4 minutes. Keep moving them around, and add small amounts (2 tablespoonsful) of vegetable broth or water when & if they start to stick, to deglaze the pan.
2. Add the garlic, pepper, and salt and saute for another minute. Add the spices and stir coninuously for about 15 seconds to toast them a bit.
3. Add the carrots, lentils, rice, zest, and broth. Cover the pot and bring to a boil, keeping a close eye on it--you don't want it to burn or stick. Once it begins to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes, until the lentils are creamy (melted) and the rice is tender. Depending on the rice you use, it could be 15 minutes, more or less. Stir occasionally to prevent the soup from burning at the bottom. If necessary, thin the soup with water or more broth.
4. Add the lemon juice, and the Garam Masala, in 1/4 teaspoon increments, so you can taste as you go--I like about 1/2 teaspoon of it. You may want more, or less. Adjust for other seasonings, like salt or pepper.
5. Let the soup sit for 10 minutes or so to maximize the flavors.
Nutritional Info based on 1/6 serving
Arabian Lentil & Rice Soup
Serving Size: 1 serving
|Amount Per Serving|