Makes 4 servings Cooking Time: maybe 15 minutes??
My recipe is a variation of "You're So Cheezy" Savoury Oats, from There She Glows.
1 cup of steel cut oats
2 cups of water (you could substitute 1 or 2 cups of vegetable broth for the water)
1 cup of non-dairy milk. I used Eden-brand enriched soy milk
2 TBS. nutritional yeast (this is what gives it the "cheezy taste")
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric (or more--this gets it nice & yellow)
1 1/2 tsp. of Bone Suckin' Sauce Seasoning & Rub (This has brown sugar, chili pepper, paprika, garlic, onion & bell pepper) Could sub any Cajun or Southwest Seasoning you like)
a few grinds of fresh black pepper
a pinch or two of chipotle powder (optional--I use 1/4 teaspoon because I like it spicy)
1 oz. of julienned sun-dried tomatoes (I love the California Sun-Dried brand because they're nice & soft--you can eat them straight out of the bag)
About a handful (5) dried shiitake mushrooms, broken into small pieces & rinsed. Use any dried mushrooms you like.
2 1/2 ounces of fresh baby spinach (or veggie broth) per serving of oatmeal!! I make enough oatmeal for 4 servings & each serving will need to be topped with 2.5 ounces of spinach. Note: Use any kind of greens you like, including kale--which takes more cooking time to soften it up.
1. Mix the oats, water, milk, seasonings, tomatoes, & mushrooms into a pot.
2. Heat to boiling. Watch carefully, and turn it down to a simmer once it starts to boil. Stir occasionally, and check back in 10 minutes. You'll want the water absorbed, and the oats nice & creamy.
3. When the oats are done, microwave one serving of spinach briefly, until it's soft, but not mushy. Depending upon your microwave this could take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
4. Top one serving of oatmeal with the softened spinach & mix. Enjoy!
5. Store the rest of the oatmeal (3 servings) in the fridge, and in the morning heat up 1 serving topped with the spinach in the microwave. Mix.
Check out this powerhouse of a breakfast! A double dose of nitric oxide boosting power from oats & spinach! Crazy how much nutrition is packed in one serving.
Savory "Cheezy" Oats with Greens
Serving Size: 1 serving
|Amount Per Serving|