Serves 4, generously
2 cups of large flake rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup (or less) of walnut pieces lightly toasted (optional)
1/3 cup brown sugar (use less, or substitute a sweetener of your choice)
1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
2 teaspoons whole flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups non-dairy milk--soy, almond, rice, or oat
An egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg. Mix 1 tablespoon of flax meal with 3 tablespoons of hot water.
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon maple syrup (option: increase this, & decrease the brown sugar)
2 medium bananas, diced
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (not thawed) Note: we used fresh
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (190 C).
2. Use an 8 inch round baking dish--equivalent to a 2 quart capacity. Lightly spray your pan if it's not silicone, or non-stick. Note: an 8 inch square pan can also be used--see notes at the end.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, walnuts, brown sugar, pepitas, flax seeds, baking powder, spices, and salt. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, the egg substitute (flax meal & water), vanilla, and maple syrup. Set aside.
5. In the prepared baking dish, spread the diced bananas in an even layer, then scatter the blueberries over top. Pile the oat mixture to cover the fruit, but do not pack too tightly. Carefully pour the wet milk mixture over the oats; it will look as if there is too much liquid, but don't worry, it will be absorbed during baking.
6. Sprinkle the top with a bit of cinnamon & a few chopped walntus, and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the oatmeal is puffed and set, with a golden brown top.
7. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes, and then enjoy.
Notes: Re the measurements--the fruit just needs to completely cover the base of the baking dish. Adjust quantities to suit your baking dish.
An 8 X 8 inch square baking dish can be used in place of the round--the oatmeal will be crisper.