Adapted fro "Quick Fix Vegan," by Robin Robertson
1 large cauliflower, center core and leaves removed
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder, hot or mild
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups of "No-Fat Coconut Milk How to make: 1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons of coconut extract (I like Silver Cloud) Tip: unsweetened soymilk works best because of its higher fat content)
Minced fresh parsley or cilantro, for garnish
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Using a box grater with large holes, grate enough of the raw cauliflower florets to equal 2 cups. Set aside.
3. Cut the remaining cauliflower into small pieces. Pre-heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cauliflower pieces, cover and cook until softened, 5-10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes, & if vegetables are starting to stick, add a few tablespoons of broth or water to deglaze the pan & keep them from sticking.
4. Sprinkle on the curry powder, stirring until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
5. While the soup is simmering, spread the shredded cauliflower evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
6. When the soup is done simmering, remove the pot from the heat and purée with an immersion blender or transfer to a stand blender or food processor and purée in batches, then return to the pot. Stir in the "non-fat coconut milk" and heat until hot. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
7. To serve, ladle into bowls and top with the roasted cauliflower "rice" and parsley. Accompany with lemon wedges if desired.