Click here to get back to the post from which this recipe comes.
Adapted from Peas & Thank You
Makes 12-16 falafels
Nutritional info per 4 falafel serving: 196 calories, 7 g. fat, 23 g. carbs, 12 g. protein
- 4 oz. firm tofu, drained, pressed and crumbled
- 1 c. garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1 T. tahini (or 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds)
- 3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 T. fresh mint, chopped
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/2 c. oat flour (i.e. old fashioned oats ground into a flour)
- 1 T. nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Combine ground oat flour, cumin, salt and pepper and nutritional yeast in a large bowl.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine tofu, beans, garlic, tahini and lemon juice and process until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry. Moisten with a tablespoon of water or so, if necessary.
3. Fold in chopped herbs.
4. Form falafel mix into 12-16 golf ball sized balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping over after 10 minutes.
- 1/2 c. silken tofu (firm or extra firm)
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1/4 c. peeled, seeded and chopped cucumber
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
Combine all ingredients except cucumber in a food processor or blender. Fold in cucumbers.
Serve on whole grain pitas topped with the Tzatziki Sauce, sliced cucumbers & tomatoes.