Click here to get to the post where this recipe comes from
(adapted from a recipe in Peas and Thank You)
2-3 Field Roast Italian Sausages, thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted chopped tomatoes in juice
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon chopped oregano
1 teaspoon T.J.'s 21 Seasoning Salute (or other salt-free spice combo)
salt to taste (optional)
1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional or to taste (if you like more heat, substitute red pepper flakes to taste)
2 cups of already cooked brown rice (I saved time with T.J. frozen brown rice pouches--ended up using 1 1/2 pouches)
1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1. Prepare rice, whether microwaving the frozen rice, or cooking your rice from scratch (could take 30-45 minutes).
2. Saute the Field Roast sausages in a large non-stick skillet until they're browned, about 5 minutes. Remove them to a plate for adding later.
3. Add onions, celery, and red pepper and "steam" saute over medium heat. Cover & let them soften, 5 minutes, checking halfway through to mix. If it gets too dry, and starts to stick, add a little bit of broth or water to deglaze the pan.
4. Add the seasonings & garlic and cook for one minute.
5. Add the tomatoes with juice, the broth, and bring to a low boil. Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Add the browned "sausage", the rice and the tomato paste, mix well, and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes. Adjust seasonings.