NOTE: This recipe comes from the "I Like It Green Blog"
- 2.5 cups regular rolled oats (not instant oats), divided (Note: 1 cup will be processed into oat flour)
- 1/4 cup chia seed
- one heaping 1/2 cup of ground flax
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Scant 1 cup almond milk (or your choice of plant-based milk)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (add 2 packets of stevia if you want a sweeter bar)
- 1-2 bananas, mashed (1 large or 2 small)
- 10 ounce bag of frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of walnuts, to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line 9x9 inch square pan with parchment paper or a silpat
2. In a blender or food processor, blend/process 1 cup of the oats until a flour forms. Or you can just use 1 cup of oat flour. (If you use the flour still use 1.5 cups of rolled oats--see step 3.)
3. In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: oat flour, 1.5 cups rolled oats, chia, flax, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, maple syrup, bananas, vanilla until no clumps remain. Add wet to dry and stir until combined. Add stevia to taste if desired. Fold in the blueberries
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth out. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden along edge and it springs back slowly when touched.
5. Sprinkle walnuts on top of bars & press lightly. Cool & cover bars--the taste improves overnight.