Mina de Masa (from Tina Wasserman’s Cooking and More... copyright 2005)
2 TBS butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
7 1/2 oz. Friendship farmer cheese (pot cheese)
2 eggs lightly beaten
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp. nutmeg, to taste
1 TBS minced fresh dill
2 TBS unsalted butter
1 large clove garlic, finely minced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
8 oz. defrosted artichoke hearts (or water packed in a jar)
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 regular matzo squares
2 cups warm vegetable or mushroom broth
2 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
Additional butter for greasing the pan.
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Lightly grease a 9 X 13 pan with butter or spray oil
3. Melt 2 TBS of butter in 2 quart pan. Saute the onion until golden.
4. Squeeze out all the excess moisture from the defrosted spinach and then add to the onions and cook over low heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. Stir occasionally. Add the feta, farmer cheese, eggs, seasonings and dill and combine. Set aside.
5. Melt the remaining 2 TBS butter in a small saute pan and add the garlic. Cook for 20 seconds over medium high heat and then add the mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms until they have given up most of their moisture.
6. If the artichoke pieces are large, cut them in half. Add the mushroom mixture and stir to heat through. Add the toasted pine nuts and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
7. Heat the 2 cups of broth in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into an 8 inch square casserole or a deep dish that will hold the liquid and soak 2 sheets of matzo at a time until soft & pliable. Do this with the next 2 matzos and as they become soft fit them in the bottom and sides of the greased 9 X 13 pan.
8. Spread the spinach mixture over the matzos and then top with the mushroom mixture.
9. Soak the remaining 4 sheets of matzo in the broth and then cover the filling. Trim or tuck the sides in to look neat.
10. Add the remaining egg to the remaining broth in the dish (note: if no broth is left combine 1/2 cup broth with the egg) and pour it evenly over the entire casserole.
11. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve hot or at room temperature.