(adapted to an oil-free version from Robin Robertson's Quick-Fix Vegan)
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of light brown sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon of salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne
2 teaspoons of maple syrup
1 15-ounce cal of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!!)
2 1/2 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth (extra for sauteeing the onions)
1 1/2 cups of non-dairy milk (we used soy, not low-fat)
1/4 cup of coarsely chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, cover & cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Peek in half-way, and if the onions start to stick, add 1/4 cup of the broth to deglaze the pot.
3. Stir in the ginger, coriander, cinnamon, brown sugar, allspice, the salt (if you're using it), the pepper, cayenne, and maple syrup, then add the pumpkin and slowly add the broth, stirring to blend until smooth.
4. Simmer until the onion is tender and the flavors are well combined, about 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the nondairy milk and cook until hot, 5 minutes longer.
6. Serve hot garnished with the pistachios.