4 Field Roast Italian Sausages, grilled - casings removed (I did a light cooking oil spray before grilling) Cut into 1/2 inch slices after grilling
2 Grilled Peppers (1 red, 1 green) chop into 1/2 inch dice after grilling
4-6 grilled sweet onion slices, chop into 1/2 inch dice after grilling
1/3 cup Mori-Nu low-fat silken tofu (this was originally 1/2 cup of olive oil) If you don't want to add the tofu--the recipe still works out well.
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (speed it up with Real Lemon frozen lemon juice, thawed, or Santa Cruz Organic 100% Lemon Juice, not from concentrate)
3 TBS. fresh minced parsley (I often omit because I don't have it)
1/4 cup (or more) fresh shredded basil leaves
1 tsp. kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Garnishes: sliced radishes, oil-cured olives, fresh basil leaves (I never bother)
1. Microwave the frozen rice--or cook the real thing--making enough for 4 to 4.5 cups.
2. Transfer rice to a large bowl and mix in cut up sausage, peppers, onions, basil, and parsley.
3. Mix the tofu (See above: or the 1/2 cup of raw cashews soaked in 1/2 cup of water), lemon juice, & salt in a blender of Vita-Mix. Add the fresh pepper after it's mixed.
4. Mix dressing into rice/pepper/sausage mixture and adjust seasonings.
5. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
6. Hope you have left-overs. It makes a wonderful lunch.
7. Serves 4-6