Appetite for Reduction Tortilla Soup---My Enlightened Version
Serves 6 generously. Add a salad & an ear of corn for a terrific meal!
Click here to go to the full post about this recipe
1 medium onion, chopped (Isa used a small one)
1 jalapeno, seeded & sliced thinly (Isa says use 2)
1 poblano pepper, seeded & chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (this is the large dark green one--ask your grocer--I had to) OK to use a sweet green pepper, but go with the poblano!
4 cloves garlic, chopped
(Isa also recommended 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. I left these out to see if the soup needed it--and it was hot enough without them--and I like heat!)
1 tsp salt (optional, always)
28 ounce can of crushed Glen Muir Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
3 cups of low-sodium vegetable broth (plus extra for sauteeing the vegetables)
4 ounces of fresh small corn tortillas--bake or toast these until they are crisp. Watch them carefully so they don't burn. (Isa uses 4 ounces of baked corn tortilla chips)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 (15 ounce) can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 cup of frozen or fresh corn. (I like using Trader Joe's frozen Roasted Corn)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnishing
Juice from 1 juicy lime
1. Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium high heat. Dry saute the onions, jalapeno, & poblano peppers until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add a little vegetable broth if the onions start to stick or dry out--to deglaze the pan.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, the 3 cups of vegetable broth, and the cumin to the pot. Mix well.
3. Crush the crisped tortillas into crumbs (some bigger pieces are OK) & add about 1/2 of them to the pot--reserving the rest for garnish. (I ended up adding all of them to the pot, because I didn't read the directions carefully & it thickened the soup, nicely) You want the crumbs to "melt" into the soup.
4. Cover, & bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, add the beans, corn, & cilantro.
5. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. Add the lime juice, taste for seasonings.
7. Ladle soup into bowls, & top with remaining tortilla crumbs & remaining cilantro.
1/6th of the recipe
Enlightened Appetite for Reducti
The Best Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 serving
|Amount Per Serving|