I love this recipe--and I really didn't change it that much. It's quick & easy to make. With beans, corn, & squash, Barnard says it's the perfect nutritional balance of carbohydrates, protein, fiber, and vitamins.
Canola cooking spray (just to keep the casserole from sticking to the pie plate)
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (16 ounces) Bearito Fat-Free Green Chile refried beans.
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 large red onion, chopped
2 cups of chopped zucchini
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I prefer the taste of roasted corn--available at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Kosher or sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 (8-10 inch) whole wheat tortillas (I like French Meadow Bakery sprouted grain)
1 1/3 cup prepared chunky salsa
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 10+ inch pie plate (I used a 10 inch square Corning Ware baking dish) with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Add the beans, 1/4 cup of lime juice, garlic, oregano, and cayenne to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth & thick. Now add the can of refried beans to the mixture & pulse mix in the processor, or mix it together by hand in a bowl--whichever is easiest for you.
3. Heat the 1/4 cup of broth in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Put in the zucchini and corn and saute for 3 minutes. Add the cumin and cilantro and saute for 1 minute. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Place one tortilla in the prepared pie plate or baking dish. Spread about 1/3 of the bean mixture over the tortilla. Using a slotted spoon, add one-third of the vegetable mixture on top of the beans. Add one-third of the salsa over the vegetables and top with another tortilla. Make two more layers in the same fashion, to make a total of three layers. The last topping will be salsa.
5. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve.
Nutrition information based on 1/5 of the casserole.
Dr. Neal Barnard's
Three-Layer Tortilla Casserole
Serving Size: 1 serving
|Amount Per Serving|